Friday, August 1, 2014

Road Trip! Leg Six: Time with Family in Racine

The drive from the edge of Minnesota through Wisconsin was another short, easy, unremarkable day. I was really excited to arrive at my destination in Racine, WI with the knowledge that there would be a few relaxing days filled with family awaiting me. My grandmother and my aunt's family live in Wisconsin and are always kind in opening their home to family members as we trickle in from across the country for visits. I have been very lucky this year and already visited several times, so it just felt comfortable and homey from the time that I arrived.

Grandma's garden.
I got caught up with my grandmother and my cousins about the happenings of the past few months. I got updates about the many activities of my busy cousins, the foster pets that had made their ways through the home, and how everyone had been adjusting since my grandfather passed away in the spring. It was the first time visiting the house since then, and there were little differences around the house that served as reminders. It was very nice to be able to visit with my grandmother, hear stories, tell stories, and just sit together outside.

Jake and Reese playing- Gracie being indifferent, as usual.
Jake and Gracie made fast friends with Reese, my cousins' dog. They played around the yard and settled right into the house. I had been worried at the beginning of my trip about how my dogs would behave in other peoples' homes. They were never left alone and truly tested, but I was still happy with how well they behaved. The first night (of two) that I stayed in Racine, I watched a movie with my cousins, and my grandmother encouraged me to leave the dogs downstairs in her part of the house. I was certain that I heard Gracie whining while we were watching the movie. I went downstairs to check only to find both of my dogs lounging on the couch, barely lifting their heads to acknowledge me when I came down the stairs. 

I would have been happy to stay in Racine for a week, but after I extended my trip by a night more than I had planned, it came time to start thinking about hitting the road. Goodbyes are never easy, but I planned on stopping in again on the way back to Idaho. One thing that I have really come to appreciate even more since I have been on the trip home is making the most of spending time with family. As much as I love solo time in the hills, it is equally good for the soul to sit around in sweats, drinking tea with the people in your life with some shared history. If you have the chance to do it, don't take it for granted. 

Not a bad view from the backyard. 



Next leg: Racine, WI to East Harbor Bay State Park, OH

No comments:

Post a Comment