Friday, August 1, 2014

Road Trip! Leg Seven: Racine to East Harbor Bay State Park, OH

Leaving Wisconsin was difficult after such a cozy few days, but I was also nearing the end of my trip and getting closer to my own family. I had one more definite stop on my agenda- camping with my friend in Pennsylvania- and after some deliberation, I decided to break up the distance with another night on the road. I found a campground along Lake Erie in Ohio and decided to make that my next destination.

This was my least favorite part of the entire drive. From Racine to East Harbor Bay State Park, I had to drive through part of Wisconsin, Illinois (the worst part- right around Chicago), Indiana, and Ohio. This made for a very expensive day with something that I had completely forgotten about while living in the West- tolls! Yuck! I spent about $15 just for driving on the roads. By the time I arrived at East Harbor Bay, I was long ready to be done with the car and done with Ohio. I checked in, reserved my site, and chuckled at the warning of the woman at the desk. I was warned to watch for raccoons and deer. 
Campsites at East Harbor Bay State Park were much different from those to which I have become accustomed. Idaho campgrounds are pretty calm and quiet, especially if you are seeking calm and quiet. For the nights that I camped on my trip, I was fortunate to not have to battle big crowds. I think with the proximity to bigger cities, greater population density, and ease of camping in huge RVs, this campground attracts a larger, rowdier crowd. Combined with the fact that the 4th of July was around the corner, and I found myself in a cramped, busy campground. Luckily, most of the campers brought RVs or trailers, and the tent spots were in a more secluded area. Still, I was keenly aware of the eyes of the folks camping across the road as I set up my tent, clearly alone. I was so used to being by myself and being in more wild areas, and it was interesting to notice that concern for safety was heightened more with the presence of people. 

I ran with my dogs, ate some delicious dinner courtesy of Grandma and Aunt Maureen, and snuggled happily back into the tent with the dogs. Another pre-5am wake up, another run in the morning light, and a beautiful sunrise over the water. The park covered ground over a peninsula into the bay, and there was a nice network of trails for our morning run, and the mosquitoes certainly kept us moving quickly. We saw a skunk and some of the notorious deer, which caused Gracie to make enough noise to wake up the whole campground. 


I was happy to sit on the edge of the water for a while as the sun made its way into the sky. Things felt nice. Calm. I was happy to be on the road and have the opportunity to spend time with family and friends over the summer. I was happy to have time to enjoy the little moments like the sunrise. Other people started pulling into the lot near the water, and the dogs and I made our way back to the site to pack up. I was ready to go just as the folks around us were starting to awaken and pour out of their RVs.

This park is one where I would perhaps stay again, but mostly for convenience. It was a bit expensive and a bit crowded for my taste, but it fell in a good location to break up my drive. 

Next leg: Ohio to Poe Paddy State Park, PA




No comments:

Post a Comment