Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Winter Running

The key to winter running is doing it. Did you have to read that sentence twice to see if you had missed something? You didn't- that's the key. Do it. Everyone will have their own tricks and their gear needs to cover ears and finger and traction for the sneakers, etc. etc. But the biggest part is truly just getting yourself out the door. This could be said for running at any time of the year, but when the temps are sub-40, sub-32, sub-0 (whatever is your personal cold point), that extra rest day sound even more appealing.

No one is immune, even those of us who run daily may need to engage in some self-talk to get out from under those covers when it comes to running in the wintertime.

The view from my window. 

This morning, I woke up to a beautiful layer of snow out my window and a temperature of sixteen degrees. I made myself some breakfast, drank some tea, and sat in my armchair by the window surveying the foothills. I did NOT want to think about layering up and getting out there, but the longer I looked out at the white hill in the haze of still-falling snow, the more I knew that I would be kicking myself later if the snow melted before I put some miles into it.

Jacob looooves the snow!
Then I waited a little longer. Finally, I started pulling on my running tights and preparing to leave. That gets the dogs excited, so there was really no turning back. Sneakers on, buff on, gloves on. Out the door. Brrrrrrrrr, that winter air is COLD!

Then, magically, it all becomes better. Minutes start passing, and you don't need the buff over your face any longer. Your body warms so quickly, and you can't remember why you ever thought there was a better place to be than out running on this beautiful winter day..
The beautiful Harrison Hollows trails.
All of us


(I wrote this on December 7th, and it is just being posted today since I have internet access. I should include a disclaimer that I have been sick all week and have not run since then. Ahhhhh, well.)











No comments:

Post a Comment