Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Race Report: Robie Creek and Lessons on Recovery

If you live in Boise, you know about the Race to Robie Creek. It is a big deal in these parts for trail and road runners alike, and has more runners than any of the other events around here. Registration opens at noon on Presidents' Day and fills in minutes, followed by a few days of people desperately trying to purchase entries on Craig's List. Months later, people who purchased and don't feel prepared are practically throwing them at anyone who will give them a little cash in return. It is sort of a rite of passage for local runners. The event begins with a theatrical start coordinated with whatever the theme is for the year, takes runners up and over Aldape Summit and into Robie Creek Park, where runners and spectators can enjoy the sun, the creek, and as much free beer as you can drink before the kegs tap out. 

Pre-race is always smiley.
This was my second year running Robie- I gave it a pass in 2013- and my feelings about it are the same. I HATE Robie! Of course, this does not mean that I will not do it again. I think it is one of those races that people love to hate. It is hard, hot, and nowhere close to my beloved single track. That being said, as one of our local favorites out here often says, "It doesn't have to be fun to be fun." Thank you Jenny Stinson for that one.

When I ran Robie in 2012, it was just two weeks after my first 100 mile effort at the Pickled Feet 24 Hour Run. I began the day feeling happy and recovered, and about a half mile into the race I realized that I was not even CLOSE to recovery.

I had a similar experience this year, although I did not have the same extent of early fatigue as I did that first year. Three weeks have passed since the Pickled Feet 48 Hour Run, and I have been feeling pretty much back to normal since only a few days after the race. However, the challenge with recovery from these kinds of races it that it feels so much different than one expects. I had the realization over the past few weeks that recovery from these huge efforts is more challenging because it manifests differently. If my legs don't hurt and nothing is stiff, I feel recovered. It is not until I start running and realize that everything takes extraordinary amounts more effort than usual that I can recognize that something is not quite right. It is actually a rather frustrating experience; since nothing hurts, it is easy to forget and wonder why I am crawling along like a snail. Robie served, once again, as a good reminder that recovery is a process that does not end when the muscles loosen up.

Getting some water in my bottle! Photo from The Pulse Running and Fitness.
It was hard not to stay and hang out with friends up at the top!

Post-race with Nicky.
I did run more of the course than I did in 2012, where I called it good after the first few miles and walked the rest of the uphill. This year, I walked a good amount on the hills, but I also jogged intermittently. I also wore headphones this year, which I NEVER do, but this is the kind of race that calls for such a thing. I found it was helpful for me to have that distraction and the rhythm in my ears that made me want to pick it up a little more.

I made it up the hill without dying and was quite happy to have the 4+ mile backside to get the end of the race over with. I ran pretty much all of that, though I did have to take a couple breaks because I was feeling sort of dizzy (poor job with pre-race hydration, I think!). None of it really mattered when I made it through the end and got to hang out in the park for a few hours with friends, which is really the only reason I like to run this thing. ;)

Post-race group.
As always, running gives me the enduring lesson of humility. I was hoping to be in the 2:10 range, and wound up with about 2:22. Not terrible, but not fantastic. It is a reminder to be gentle with myself and my recovery process. Also a reminder that I hate Robie, though probably not a lasting one that will keep me from running again next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment